Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Thousand Words (Part 1: Staging and Training)

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. But who are "they" and why is it a thousand, exactly?

My book runs in at almost 100,000 words. That means I could've just posted 100 pictures and saved myself the trouble of writing it, right?

Well, as a sort of supplement to the book, I'm going to post 100 pictures from my time as a Volunteer in East Africa. Not all at once, of course, but just a few at a time.
It really is amazing how parts of Africa look just like parts of the United States.
Right. Obviously I took some pictures before we left America. My first experience with the Peace Corps was in what they called "Staging", three days in Washington, D.C. where we were given some introductory information, vaccinations, and (I assume) a chance to back out at the last minute before committing to going to Africa. 
 Here's a view of Arusha, Tanzania, from one of the best hotels in the city. Arusha was where we spent our first ten weeks, in Peace Corps Training.
Arusha lies at the base of Mt. Meru, the second highest mountain in Tanzania.

  
- A Thousand Words (Part 2: Pre-Service Training) -
   

No comments:

Post a Comment